Thursday, October 8, 2009

Apple Press




















I was fortunate enough to have grown up on a farm in South Dakota with an apple orchard. I am also fortunate enough to have awesome parents who still have the old apple press even though our apple orchard died out years back because of a disease. One apple tree remains and my father has since replanted other fruit trees. The last time I was home my parents sent back 2 large grocery bags of apples so me and my brother decided to break out the apple press that we had sitting in the garage from last year's intention to make hard apple cider. I had forgotten how much fun it is to press apples. The smell, the stickiness, and the taste of fresh apple juice. It was a perfect fall evening!































I let the 3 quarts of apple cider sit out on the counter for 4 days to make hard apple cider. It tastes delicious! Like tangy apple juice and it has a thicker texture than plain juice. We plan on getting more apples so we can make more hard apple cider and even apple cider vinegar!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment